History of the Town of Laytonsville
The present town of Laytonsville, located in northeastern Montgomery County, Maryland, has been a settlement for over 200 years. The land tract originally known as The Addition to Brooke Grove was granted to James Brooke in 1762.
Cracklintown, established in 1789, was the oldest documented settlement in the immediate Laytonsville area. Named for the Cracklin Tavern, Cracklintown was located near the intersection of present day Rt. 108 and Brink-Sundown Roads. The name originated from the popular cracklin bread, essentially a bacon-cornbread, served at the tavern. The entire First Election District was known as Cracklin District.
When John Layton, who inherited and lived in the Federal style brick home at the intersection, became postmaster, he added his own name to the post office. After existing under both names for some decades, Laytonsviile was incorporated in 1892.
Laytonsville has stood as a crossroad to the major metropolitan districts of Maryland for over 200 years. The original road leading from the Monocacy River to Ellicotts Mills and Baltimore is now known as Brink Road to the west of town and Sundown Road to the east. It was a major artery for cattle and pigs headed for the bustling markets of Baltimore and established the town as a comfortable stopover for drovers. Route 108 was added in the very early 1800s.
A second reason for the development of the town was successful farming. Laytonsville farmers were blessed by the quality of the soil -- a Manor or Chester loam -- which is very fertile and well-drained but does not dry out too quickly. Under the loam lies a substrate of red clay which assists in holding the moisture for roots even during hot, dry summers -- great farming land.
Information excerpted from a booklet written by Maude Burke