The History of the Bell Family in Laytonsville and Our Town Hall
The Bells have lived in Laytonsville since its earliest beginnings, and they have always played an important part in the business life and the development of the town. Five of the Bell family buildings -- Temperance Hall, Town Hall, and three homes -- are still standing. Only the general store is now gone.
2002 marked the opening of Laytonsville's Town Hall. Located in the center of town, this house had always been in the Bell family From 1883 until the town acquired it in 1999. In 1883, William and Della Warfield Bell began construction on their new home. Fortunately, all the bills and receipts for construction of the house were stored away in a wall. The records were uncovered in 1983 when the Seek family, descendants of the Bells, added a new room for their third son.
At the time it was built, the house was a major investment -- $2,000.00. The lumber was purchased at Willet & Libbey in Washington, D.C. at a cost of $6.18 for 618 feet of 4" x 4" timber. The shingles cost $13.00 at J. W. Seay of Gaithersburg. Ten and a half pounds of nails for the construction job cost 84 cents. Bricks for the home cost $3.50, and each door was priced at $1.00.